FRANT PARISH COUNCIL
THE MINUTES OF A MEETING OF FRANT PARISH COUNCIL HELD AT
FRANT MEMORIAL HALL, FRANT
ON WEDNESDAY 18TH MAY 2011 AT 8.00PM
Present: Councillors Crookshank , Harris, Mrs Myers and Rockingham
Also in attendance: Sarah Codling (Clerk), Michael Higgs (ESCC) and three members of the public.
1. Annual Meeting
1.1 To elect a Chairman
It was resolved to waive Standing Order 11 on the length of time that a Chairman may hold office and to elect Cllr Crookshank as Chairman. The Declaration of Acceptance of Office was signed.
1.2 To elect a Vice-Chairman
Resolved to elect Cllr Mrs Howell as Vice-Chairman. In her absence, the Declaration of Acceptance of Office will be sent to her for signing.
All Councillors signed their Declaration of Acceptance of Office.
2. To co-opt Councillors
It was proposed by Cllr Crookshank to co-opt Mrs Giny Best of Eridge as a Councillor for Eridge Ward. This was seconded by Cllr Rockingham and all Councillors agreed.
3. To receive apologies and reason for absence.
Apologies were received from Cllrs Mrs Howell and Rowland.
4. To receive declarations of interests on items on the Agenda.
5. To approve the Minutes of the meeting 20 April 2011 as a true record.
The minutes of the meeting held 20 April 2011 were signed as a true and accurate record.
6. To determine matters arising from the previous Minutes for updating and noting.
7. Public Forum – time limit 10 minutes.
- Some posts around The Green have come out and it was questioned when they would be repaired. The Clerk responded that the Council is seeking quotes for the work and would proceed accordingly.
- It was requested that Council information (for example, minutes) were loaded onto the website quicker to enable residents to be aware of what is happening in the Parish.
- Concern was voiced regarding the communication between the Council and parishioners. There was little publicity for the Annual Parish Meeting or the AGM and it is believed more could be done to include people. Cllr Crookshank agreed about the publicity for the Annual Parish Meeting adding that the Clerk was unaware that advertising boards should be used as this was her first Annual Meeting.
- It was requested that the Council increase their visibility in the community and raise their profile. Councillors questioned why it is felt that the Parish is not working. The member of the public responded by saying that the Council seems to have disappeared. The issue of needing more Councillors was emphasised as an example of this. It was also queried whether the Parish Plan would be pursued further.
Councillors agreed that the Parish Plan would be continue. It was also agreed that advertising would be distributed to fill the vacancies for Frant Councillors. Councillor Mrs Myers agreed to enquire about advertising in the shop and Councillor Mrs Best and the Clerk will advertise on the website and noticeboards.
- Councillor Crookshank advised the public that the Council is still endeavouring to provide a good service to the community. The Bells Yew Green traffic calming project is underway, an allotment association has been created to enable smooth and efficient running of the allotments, the Parish Plan is to be continued, progressing with Wealden via planning and the new website is up and running.
8. To receive Police Report.
9. To receive reports of County and District Councillors.
No report was given. However, it was noted that Cllrs Mrs Howell and Padfield had been re-elected.
10. Chairman’s Announcements & Correspondence for noting.
It was noted that the Council have not published a report in the Parish News for the last couple of months. A new rota is to be put forward and distributed to Councillors. The rota will outline which ward will be writing the report and it is to be decided among the Councillors of that ward who will compose the article. Once completed, the report will be sent to the Clerk to forward to Carmel Kinley.
11. Highways, Transport & Lighting Matters.
11.1 To receive update regarding gates for entrance to Bells Yew Green.
The designs have been sent to Michael Higgs. He will obtain costings and review the money left over from the traffic calming works. However, a balance of money will be retained following completion of the traffic calming works to cover any necessary safety work following the completion audit.
11.2 To receive update regarding the Speed Limit Review as carried out by Highways.
Michael Higgs noted the speeding problem on B2169 by Little Bayham. The issue is to be reviewed and discussed at a later date.
11.3 To receive update regarding installing a dog bin in Bells Yew Green and discuss siting.
Information received from Wealden indicate that the Frant dog bin is ¼ to ½ full when emptied. Cllrs Crookshank and Harris have looked around Bells Yew Green and did not see any evidence of a problem.
This item is to be revisited in a few months to ascertain the need for a dog bin in Bells Yew Green.
11.4 To receive update from Michael Higgs re Bells Yew Green parking
All orders have been prepared and checked. These will be sent to the Manager of the Design Team for checking and then on to the Head of Department for checking. If this is completed by Tuesday 24th May the order will be in the paper on Friday for 28 days advertising. Adverts will also be posted around Bells Yew Green.
Residents will then have 4 weeks to object. Objections will then be taken to the planning committee. Michael Higgs will advise the Clerk of the number of objections as County Councillor Tidy and the Parish Council may wish to write a report in support of the proposals.
A public information pack (PIP) needs to be created and distributed. The Parish Council may be approached by the contractor.
It will be necessary to install 4 way lights outside The Brecknock Arms for a short period. The bus shelter will also need to be moved during the build out.
Construction and planning maintenance to do drainage work in October. There have been assurances from the designer that the calming works are in the programme for September.
The auditor is to be approached regarding an objection from Mrs Miller. The Parish Council may be approached regarding the resolution.
An objection received from Mrs Hooper may be harder to resolve. The build out may help to reduce the blind spot and will slow down traffic. There do not appear to be any other options and the build out will have to continue as planned. Michael Higgs to inform the Clerk if this response is not satisfactory.
12. Planning Matters
12.1 To approve the Minutes of the meeting 9 May 2011.
The minutes of the meeting held 9 May 2011 were signed as a true and accurate record.
12.2 To make recommendations about Planning Applications received.
The Clerk has received emails stating planning responses are needed. However, no paperwork has been sent. The website crashed when trying to access the information.
The Clerk will query how plans are to be received and the reliability of the website. Planning references needing responses will be sent round to Councillors for comments.
13.1 To approve Sections 1 & 2 of the Annual Return 2010/2011
Resolved to approve the End of Year Accounts 2010/11.
13.2 To review Financial Regulations
The Financial Regulations were reviewed and noted.
13.3 To approve member allowances 2011/12
The member allowances were approved:
|Members basic allowance (maximum)||£140 pa|
|Chairman’s allowance (maximum)||£230 pa|
|Approved mileage payments – car||40p per mile|
|Approved mileage payments – motor cycle||24p per mile|
|Approved mileage payments – cycle||20p per mile|
|Additional passenger supplement||5p per mile per person|
|Subsistence allowance – breakfast||Up to £5.50|
|Subsistence allowance – lunch||Up to £7.50|
|Subsistence allowance – tea||Up to £3.50|
|Subsistence allowance – evening meal||Up to £9.50|
13.4 To approve accounts payable.
Cllr Mrs Myers presented costs of £132.68 regarding the Street Party. This was included in the accounts payable and all were approved.
14. To review Risk Management, Insurance and Asset Register.
The risk management document, insurance cover and asset register were reviewed and noted. However, grit bins will need to be added to the risk management once they are installed.
15. To adopt the advertising policy.
The advertising policy was adopted and will be published on the website.
16. To adopt reserves policy.
The reserves policy was adopted and will be published on the website.
17. To receive update regarding Bells Yew Green Society.
The Bells Yew Green Society wish to hold an event for the Diamond Jubilee. There are also plans to put a small play area in Bells Yew Green.
Councillor Crookshank has confirmed to the Society that all work would have to be completed by them but some financial support may be sought from the Council.
The Parish Council will have to be involved regarding the play area as the proposed site (The Green) is Council property.
A further meeting of the Bells Yew Green Society is to be held 24th May 2011.
18. To discuss the Victoria Well.
Helen Carpenter currently maintains the plants around the Victoria Well and would like someone to take over.
The Council are to approach the Gardening Society or speak to the allotment society.
This item will be carried forward to the next meeting.
19. To discuss the Albert Well.
It was reported that an inscripted stone has gone missing. It is believed Cllr Mrs Howell has more information. Therefore, this item will be carried forward to the next meeting.
20. To receive update regarding the Street Party for the Royal Wedding
The Street Party was a huge success with requests for similar to be organised for the Diamond Jubilee.
Invoices for the aerial and tv licence are still outstanding. The Landlord at The George agreed to fund any shortfall as he had such a good day.
21. To receive update regarding Glebe Land
Following the response received from the Diocese, the Clerk is to arrange a meeting and to ask for a licence granting access.
22. Correspondence for noting.
A request has been received to put up advertising on the Green for a school open day. This has been refused. It was noted that Sacred Heart are currently advertising an open day. The Clerk will phone requesting removal of the advertising boards and stating that a policy is in place.
23. Urgent issues at the discretion of the Chairman for noting or inclusion on future agenda.
The pumps are not working to clear road waste in Bells Yew Green. This is now becoming an environmental health hazard. Cllr Rockingham to approach WDC.
There being no further business the meeting closed at 9:30pm.