FRANT PARISH COUNCIL

THE MINUTES OF A MEETING OF FRANT PARISH COUNCIL HELD AT
ERIDGE VILLAGE HALL,
ON WEDNESDAY 17TH NOVEMBER 2010 AT 8.00PM

Present: Councillors Crookshank (Chairman), Mrs Best, Harris, Houlihan, Mrs Howell, Mrs Myers, Rowland and Wright

Also in attendance: Sarah Codling (Clerk) and County Cllr. Tidy.

1. To receive apologies and reason for absence.
Apologies were received from Cllrs Burgess, Gray and Hall. All apologies were accepted.

2. To receive declarations of interests on items on the Agenda.
Cllr Mrs Myers declared a personal interest in item 15 as a Governor at the School.

3. To receive Police Report.
A report had been sent to Cllr Mrs Howell detailing:
• Police are continuing to target anti social and poor driving on Wealden’s roads.
• This year there has been a reduction of over 50% in the number of people killed in road traffic collisions.
• The Police need to make significant savings over the next few years. This may involve moving premises. A review is also underway as to how Sussex Police can be contacted. An online survey is available on the Sussex Police website for any views.
• A young horse was killed in Alfriston. Owners of horses are asked to take sensible precautions to keep them safe.
• Last week 1.8 tons of cannabis was seized in Heathfield. Two people have been charged.
• Crime continues to be significantly lower this year with a reduction of 472 offences, with a lot of work going into maintaining this trend.

4. Public Forum – time limit 10 minutes.
None.

5. To approve the Minutes of the meeting 20 October 2010 as a true record.
The minutes of the meeting 20 October 2010 were signed as a true and accurate record.

6. To determine matters arising from the previous Minutes for updating and noting.
Cllr Mrs Myers reported that the hedge has been cut back on the corner by the School. However, the pavement has not been entirely cleared. There is soil on the path blocking thoroughfare and only allowing single file. The Clerk is requested to write to Highways.

7. To receive reports of County and District Councillors.
County
• A meeting was held between West Sussex, Brighton and Police to talk about Travellers Association. This is an advisory group to review strategies which are two years old. A workshop has been called in January 2011 for local government members to discuss the advice structure.
• The Lewes and Eastbourne Voluntary Organisation Group has created an umbrella organisation to help people get to hospital and lunch clubs. Tuesday was their 1st anniversary. The group is reported to be working well.
• There is a plan to reduce the two mobile libraries to one. Each vehicle needs £100,000 to maintain and costs £50,000 a year to run. The Council would be interested to hear any feedback.
• Feedback is being sought as to how people believe the Neighbourhood Policing Teams are working

District
• Two years of consultation on LDF are drawing to a close. It is now critical that every parish gives input as many parishes may have development boundaries removed.
• Frant is put forward as a service area, a key strategy of LDF. There are good bus services to Tunbridge Wells, a school and railway station which indicates Frant as a good service area feeding into Tunbridge Wells.
• The Parish Conference was held 1 November. Wealden have the expectation that all planning matters will be dealt with electronically by April 2011.
• Local conveniences are in short supply, bad condition and vandalised. An initiative is being launched that local companies/businesses offer their facilities, for which they will receive some remuneration.

8. Chairman’s Announcements & Correspondence for noting.
This item was postponed to the end of the meeting.

9. Highways, Transport & Lighting Matters.
9.1 To receive report from Highways, Transport & Lighting Committee.
No items of note.

9.2 To receive progress report on the traffic calming/management proposal for Bells Yew Green
Michael Higgs has been measuring outside The Brecknock Arms with a view to narrow the Frant/Bells Yew Green Road to help pedestrians. The Clerk was asked to contact Mr Higgs regarding presenting updated plans to the Council.
A proposal was put to the Council that gateways should be installed at either end of Bells Yew Green. This will have to be provided by the Council but can be erected as part of the traffic works. The Council approved the idea in principle. This will be carried forward to next meeting to discuss details. Michael Higgs is to be contacted regarding planning permission needed.

9.3 To approve position for grit bins/hippo bags and approve costs.
The Council approved hippo bags for The Brecknock Arms, The George, The Abergavenny Arms and Bells Yew Green shop. Costs are approved. However, Cllr Crookshank will research if this can be reduced by sourcing privately.

10. Planning Matters
10.1 To make recommendations about Planning Applications received.
WD/2010/2511/F – New House, Reflex House, Bells Yew Green Road, Bells Yew Green TN3 9BQ
Conversion from class B1 business to one No. class C3 residential dwelling
The Council has no objection provided Section 106 remains in place. It is requested that there are no external lights causing light pollution.

11. Allotments
11.1. To receive report on creating allotment association.
A report was received regarding a meeting to create an Allotment Association. The Association has been created and all parties involved are very positive about proceeding.
The Parish Council will continue to pay insurance for the allotments.

12. Play Equipment
12.1 To review progress with see-saw at Frant Recreation Ground.
Graham Thorpe has been contacted regarding the maintenance work for the see-saw. However, it has only been possible to leave telephone messages, with no conversation yet established. Cllr Mrs Myers is to contact him direct as she has the see-saw handle to give Mr Thorpe.

13. Finance
12.1 To approve accounts payable.
Accounts approved.

12.2 To review and approve payment to Frant Parish News.
Councillors agreed to pay the sum of £600 to Frant Parish News.

12.3 To review budget for 2011/12
A report of spend to date against budget was provided to Councillors. All feedback is to be sent to Clerk for next meeting.

13. Frant Development Boundary
Frant is due 120 new houses, to be reviewed every 5 years. Councillors questioned whether already agreed housing counts towards this quota. It was also queried where the development boundary is for Frant.
Cllr Mrs Howell is to review situation and contact the Council with her findings. Cllr Crookshank is to voice any concerns to the portfolio holder.

14. School Field – to review ownership and costs of maintaining.
The field costs £500 a year to maintain, but this has been at a sporting level. The Council believe it is important to stay within the Community and will assume responsibility for maintenance.

15. Correspondence for noting.
Correspondence was reviewed with no items of note.

16. Urgent issues at the discretion of the Chairman for noting or inclusion on future agenda.
A party is being held for the previous Clerk in Wadhurst, Thursday 25 November. All Councillors welcome.

8. Chairman’s Announcements & Correspondence for noting.
In view of the recent announcement regarding the Royal Wedding it has been proposed that Frant may hold a street party. All Councillors agree in principle and this will be put on the agenda when the date is known.

There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.45pm.