FRANT PARISH COUNCIL

THE MINUTES OF A MEETING OF FRANT PARISH COUNCIL HELD AT
FRANT MEMORIAL HALL, FRANT
ON WEDNESDAY 17TH APRIL 2013 AT 7.30PM

Present: Councillors Mrs Best (Acting Chair), Argue, Hall, Harris, Mrs Kinley, Mrs Myers, Rutherford and Wright.
Also in attendance: Sarah Codling (Clerk), County Councillor Tidy, Bob Standley

1. To receive apologies and reason for absence.
Apologies were received from Cllrs Crookshank, Mrs Howell and Rowland. All apologies were accepted.

2. To receive declarations of interests on items on the Agenda.
None.

3. To approve the Minutes of the meeting 20 March 2013 as a true record.
The minutes of the meeting held 20 March 2013 were signed as a true and accurate record.

4. To determine matters arising from the previous Minutes for updating and noting.
At the last meeting it was agreed for Cllr Wright to speak with the owner of The Limes about cutting back the bushes at the front of the property. Mr Goodwin stated he had intended to cut back the bushes in the Spring when the weather would be more conducive.
The Clerk is to write a letter to the owner of 1 The High Street regarding the state of the fence. Residents have complained about the state of the fence and it has been highlighted that the village is a conservation area which should be maintained.

5. Public Forum – time limit 10 minutes.
None.

6. To receive Police Report.
None.

7. To receive reports of County and District Councillors.
County
• The County Council is currently not issuing any changes of policy owing to the pending elections.
• The money for the Bexhill-Hastings link road has now arrived. £56m has been received with the County Council to add a further £40m.
• Cllr Tidy was disappointed to report that the petition to reduce the speed limit along Wadhurst Road is not being supported. Mrs Hutchins and Cllr Tidy are to address the Lead Member to try and change his mind. Many accidents along that road have not been reported and, therefore, are not considered ‘official’ accidents. However, Mrs Hutchins has evidence to contradict this belief. Frant Parish Council agreed to write a letter to Rupert Clubb and Cllr Carl Maynard supporting the petition. The Clerk is to action.

District
• Owing to the introduction of new planning regulations, Wealden District Council have introduced the new Core Strategy. Wealden were successful in being the first Council to put this in place. The Strategy has been approved but is now subject to a legal challenge. The Core Strategy is to remain in place during the legal challenge which is owing to many complaints regarding the 7 mile zone around the Ashdown Forest. The challenge could take some months to settle.
• There has been a lot of talk regarding the collection of waste from village halls. The contractor has agreed that village halls and community centres will have domestic collections free of charge, similar to residential collections. Any additional collections will be charged.
• Residents are urged to sign the go-esussex petition for improved broadband. Only 3,000 people have signed up across East Sussex. Residents are to visit http://www.goesussex.co.uk/ to sign up.

8. Chairman’s Announcements & Correspondence for noting.
A request has been received from Frant Church to hold a service on The Green 9.15am, 7 July 2013. All Councillors voted in favour.

9. Highways, Transport & Lighting Matters.
9.1 To discuss lighting.
• A quote has been received to replace the damaged light and speed sign on A267 with one 8m column to reduce street furniture clutter. However, this light would not be able to support a swan neck. Councillors wished to retain the swan neck and would prefer the 5m column and separate speed sign to be reinstalled. It was questioned who supplies the electricity to the interactive speed sign. This is to be questioned at the next SLR meeting to be held 25 April 2013.
• Cllrs Rutherford and Wright agreed to walk down Church Lane and report back on the orange light as to what work is still outstanding. The Clerk is to send a list of light locations to Cllr Rutherford for information.
• Councillors agreed the quote of £304 for the swan neck to be replaced on Church Lane.
• The light on Shernfold Park has still not been repaired. The Clerk is to chase further information.
• Councillors questioned whether a Councillor could be present at all repair work.

9.2 To review proposals from Southern Gas Networks
• The Clerk has sent a letter to SGN about the necessary remedial works. The Clerk is to contact SGN again for a response.
• It was noted that there is a post down on the road outside the Memorial Hall. It was asked whether there was any way to replace the post. Another post also needs replacing on the verge on Broadwater Forest Lane, on the junction with the A26. Cllr Argue advised that EDF have a pile of telegraph poles which have been cut up which would be good for the necessary work. The Clerk and Cllr Argue are to investigate obtaining the posts.
• At the end of Church Road a sign depicting ‘unsuitable for heavy vehicles’ has been damaged. The Clerk is to contact Highways.
• On the road from Greenwood to Frant Stores there is a sign post which once indicated the school. The school sign has been taken down and replaced with a sign asking residents to clean up after their dogs. Councillors asked the Clerk to approach Highways for a quote to remove this sign.

9.3 To receive update regarding signage at Kippings Cross roundabout
A large motorway sign has appeared on the Kippings Cross roundabout by Dundale Road. Cllr Crookshank contacted the Clerk of Matfield Parish Council as it is in their jurisdiction. The Clerk of Matfield has reported that they have contacted Kent Highways and will advise future correspondence.

10. Planning Matters
10.1 To approve the Minutes of the meeting 8 April 2013 as a true record.
The minutes of the meeting held 8 April 2013 were signed as a true and accurate record.

10.2 To make recommendations about Planning Applications received.
• WD/2013/0668/F – Bay Tree House, Shernfold Park, Frant TN3 9DL
Erection of a single storey front extension to provide cloakroom and enlarged entrance to house, erection of pitched roof on existing flat roofed garage, changes to window joinery and clad first floor with weatherboard.
Approve.
• WD/2013/0686/FA – Unit M, The Brewery, Bells Yew Green Road, Bells Yew Green TN3 9BD
Variation of condition 03 attached to WD/2012/2411/F (amended plans)
No objection.

To note applications granted, refused and withdrawn by District Council:
• WD/2013/0043/F – 2 Yew Tree Cottages, Frant Road, Tunbridge Wells, TN3 9HB – Proposed new single storey split-level extension to the rear of the existing house, to form a new sun room and kitchen extension – Granted.
• WD/2013/0044/LB – 2 Yew Tree Cottages, Frant Road, Tunbridge Wells, TN3 9HB – Proposed new single storey split-level extension to the rear of the existing house, to form a new sun room and kitchen extension – Granted.
• WD/2012/2574/FR – 10 Knowle Cottages, Wadhurst Road, Frant TN3 9EJ – Retrospective application for the conversion of double garage/stables to holiday cottage with two dormer windows, parking provision, access track and new access point (revised scheme incorporating the replacement of the dormer windows with rooflights and other internal/external alterations together with revised access/exit arrangements). – Granted

11. Finance
11.1 To approve accounts payable.
The Accounts were approved.

Payee Name                      Transaction Detail                                 Chq Ref            Amount
ESCC                                      Grounds maintenance charge          604                  2,075.18
ESCC                                      Street lighting maintenance             605                   1080
EDF Energy                         Street lights                                            dd                      967.07
Z McGregor-Gould          Salary                                                        606                  86.66
S Codling                              Salary + mileage                                  607                   668.45
Post Office Ltd                    Tax/NICs                                                608                   0.55
Frant Memorial Hall        Hire 8 & 17 April 2013                      609                    24
Aon                                        Insurance                                                610                    2203.32
Frant Stores                       Henry Smith                                          611                      28

11.2 To appoint Internal Auditor.
The Clerk advised that Mr Doug Williamson audited the accounts last year. An internal audit report was provided following the completion of the work.
Councillors voted in favour of appointing Mr Williamson for a second year.

12. To discuss the extra provision of dog bins.
An email has been received from Mrs Paula Hobbs requesting signs on the trees of Frant Green for dogs to be kept on leads. This matter should be discussed with the Trustees of Frant Green. However, Councillors felt that signs should not be erected as it is a policy to reduce signage within the area.
Cllr Mrs Kinley advised that an article has been written for the next Parish News. The article thanks residents for clearing up dog mess but also highlights the hazards of not clearing up after dogs for those who do not. The main areas of concern are Church Lane and the High Street.
This matter is to be reviewed in 3 months. The provision of extra dog bins is not deemed necessary at this moment.

13. To discuss the Annual Parish Meeting
Many clubs and societies in the parish have accepted the invitation to have a stall at the Annual Parish Meeting. Cllr Mrs Kinley is to speak to Frant Nursery to see if they are interested and the Clerk is to speak to Eridge Cricket Club and Frant Bowls Club.
Several Councillors indicated they would provide some food and Cllr Crookshank is to provide wine, soft drink and glasses. The Clerk is to provide all advertising.

14. Correspondence for noting.
Noted.

15. Urgent issues at the discretion of the Chairman for noting or inclusion on future agenda.
• There is a section of the Frant Green which has been seeded for wild flowers and, therefore, should not have the grass cut. Councillor Hall asked for a small sign to be erected asking it not to be mown. All Councillors approved. The Clerk is to investigate.
• A grant is not possible for the repair work at Victoria Well. The Clerk is to obtain 2 more quotes.

There being no further business the meeting closed at 8:55pm.