FRANT PARISH COUNCIL
THE MINUTES OF A MEETING OF FRANT PARISH COUNCIL HELD AT
FRANT MEMORIAL HALL, FRANT
ON WEDNESDAY 15 MAY 2013 AT 7.30PM
Present: Councillors Crookshank (Chair), Argue, Mrs Best, Hall, Harris, Mrs Kinley, Mrs Myers, Rowland and Rutherford.
Also in attendance: Sarah Codling (Clerk)
1. To elect Chair
Cllr Rowland proposed Cllr Crookshank as Chairman. This was seconded by Cllr Hall. All voted in favour.
It was resolved to waive Standing Order 11 on the length of time that a Chairman may hold office and to elect Cllr Crookshank as Chairman. The Declaration of Acceptance of Office was signed.
2. To elect Vice Chair
Cllr Argue proposed Cllr Rutherford as Vice Chairman. This was seconded by Cllr Mrs Best. All voted in favour. The Council thanked Cllr Mrs Howell for all her work as Vice Chairman which have been carried out diligently under huge pressures.
Resolved to elect Cllr Rutherford as Vice-Chair.
3. To receive apologies and reason for absence.
Apologies were received from Cllrs Mrs Howell and Wright. All apologies were accepted.
4. To receive declarations of interests on items on the Agenda.
5. To approve the Minutes of the meeting 17 April 2013 as a true record.
The minutes of the meeting held 17 April 2013 were signed as a true and accurate record.
6. To determine matters arising from the previous Minutes for updating and noting.
It was noted that Bob Standley has been elected as County Councillor for Frant Parish.
7. Public Forum – time limit 10 minutes.
8. To receive Police Report.
9. To receive reports of County and District Councillors.
• A draft Community Engagement Strategy has been published. It is currently in consultation and shows how Wealden District Council works with parish and town councils. The consultation will end 17 July 2013. The parish council is welcome to give opinions and will be formally invited to do so.
• Wealden have launched a Local Authority Mortgage Scheme for first time buyers to gain assistance. It gives guarantee for the first 5 years in a property. Details are on the Wealden District website.
• In Polegate Wealden are running a special day for older people, co-ordinated by the Wealden Community Regeneration Team. Over 20 stalls of local businesses and organisations will be available. If the day is successful it will be rolled out, possibly to Crowborough next year.
10. Chairman’s Announcements & Correspondence for noting.
The hearing for the appeal for application WD/2012/1809/FA, Bush House Field, Bells Yew Green is to be held on 13 June 2013 at Hailsham. Cllr Crookshank is to speak on behalf of the Parish Council.
11. Highways, Transport & Lighting Matters.
11.1 To receive update following SLR meeting.
Minutes of the meeting were distributed. Highways have commented that many parish and town councils are now asking for work to be completed and are paying for it themselves. However, there has not been an increase in staff numbers so the department is finding it difficult to keep up with projects. However, the parish is getting things done, albeit slowly.
Ian Johnson is coming to the Annual Parish Meeting.
Parking outside Frant Stores is now on the agenda for SLR meetings so can be pushed along. Further details about current projects are in the minutes.
11.2 To receive update following meeting with SGN
• A meeting was held yesterday. The work on the bank by the village shop was pointed out to SGN who have agreed to make amends. Other work is still in negotiation and SGN are to review when further work is carried out September/October 2013.
• Cllr Hall noted that traffic speeds along the road outside the Memorial Hall and there could be a need for sleeping policemen to avoid a serious accident.
• Cllr Argue advised that he met with Cllr Mrs Howell and someone regarding fence work to discuss the posts along the Green opposite the play area. Cllr Argue is to review which posts need replacing and ensure the existing posts are stable.
• It was also noted that there is a lot of damaged caused by traffic on the left hand side. It may be necessary to consider posts along by the pill box.
11.3 To discuss parking outside Frant Stores
A meeting is to be held 1pm 21 May 2013 with James Vaks from ESCC Highways. Roger at Frant Stores has completed an original plan and should be invited to the meeting.
This matter is also to be discussed at SLR meetings.
At this stage it was noted that a quote of £1,530.09 has been received to replace the light on A267. The Clerk is to advise the driver’s insurance company and to accept the quote. The light on Shernfold Park still needs attention.
12. Planning Matters
12.1 To approve the Minutes of the meeting 29 April 2013 as a true record.
Cllr Hall advised he did send apologies to the meeting. Following the amendment, the minutes of the meeting held 29 April 2013 were signed as a true and accurate record.
12.2 To make recommendations about Planning Applications received.
To note applications granted, refused and withdrawn by District Council:
• WD/2013/0686/FA -Unit M, The Brewery, Bells Yew Green TN3 9BD – Vaiation of condition 03 attached to WD/2012/2411/F (amended plans) – Granted.
• WD/2013/0571/F – Holy Trinity Church, Warren Farm Lane, Eridge Green TN3 9JG – Replacement of the existing leaded light glazing to the north nave window, east of the north transept arch, witha new stained glass window with stone plaque below sill – Granted.
13.1 To approve Sections 1&2 of the Annual Return 2012/13.
This item is to be discussed at the Planning meeting, following receipt of report from the Internal Auditor.
13.2 To review Financial Regulations.
13.3 To approve Members Allowances 2013/14
The Members Allowances were approved as follows:
Members basic allowance (maximum) £140 pa
Chairman’s allowance (maximum) £230 pa
Approved mileage payments – car 40p per mile
Approved mileage payments – motor cycle 24p per mile
Approved mileage payments – cycle 20p per mile
Additional passenger supplement 5p per mile per person
Subsistence allowance – breakfast Up to £5.50
Subsistence allowance – lunch Up to £7.50
Subsistence allowance – tea Up to £3.50
Subsistence allowance – evening meal Up to £9.50
13.4 To approve accounts payable.
The Accounts were approved.
Payee Name Transaction Detail Chq Ref Amount
Wealden District Council Dog Bins, Quarter 4 DD 74.88
Sussex Association of Local Councils Legal & Finance Day, training 612 105
North Wealden Community Wealdlink 1 April – 30 June 2013 613 60
Transport Partnership Ltd
Z McGregor-Gould Salary, May 614 86.66
S Codling Salary + mileage, May 615 737.25
HMRC TAX/NI May 616 3.19
Frant Memorial Hall Hire of hall, 29 April + 15 May 2013 617 24
UK Web Solutions Direct Ltd Web hosting fee 618 43.06
The procedure for the Henry Smith distribution is to be discussed. However, Cllr Crookshank is to speak with Rev Packman and the two shop owners first.
14. To review Risk Management, Insurance and Asset Register.
The Clerk is to try to obtain cheaper insurance for next year.
The Risk Management and Asset Register were approved. However, the number of seats on the asset register is to be amended to 15.
15. To discuss Victoria Well and approve any quotes.
A quote has been received from Hodder to replace some sections of the well and not to replace the soleplate that the roof rests on. The quote is for £722. However, the quote from Wood and Work is to replace the whole soleplate for £4,108. Cllr Argue recommended using Wood and Work. The Council agreed and the Clerk is to request the work to be completed.
Cllr Argue also advised he is trying to work out costings for the removal of the metal football hut. The base needs to be broken up and the hut is a cabin, not a storage unit. There will be little scrap value and there is a lot of plasterboard to be removed. The costs are approximately £800. The Council approved a spend of up to £1,000 and requested Cllr Argue to proceed.
16. To discuss the Annual Parish Meeting
Cllrs Argue, Mrs Best, Mrs Kinley, Mrs Myers and the Clerk are to provide food. Cllr Crookshank is to provide drinks.
The Clerk has advised local organisations of the format of the evening. Cllr Mrs Kinley gave her apologies.
17. Correspondence for noting.
There were two requests for local information which Mrs Kinley is to put in the Parish News.
18. Urgent issues at the discretion of the Chairman for noting or inclusion on future agenda.
The grass has not been cut on the Green for a while. The Clerk chased Wealden today.
A flowering cherry tree on Frant Green Road, before Shernfold, is rotten. A new tree was planted as it was known the original tree would die. Treeworks are to review.
Slowing down traffic on the Green is to be discussed at the next meeting.
There is an urgent need for a crossing supervisor at Frant School. An advert is to go on the website.
Frant ward are to write the next report for the Parish News. Cllr Rutherford agreed to write it. Cllr Crookshank would like to see the report first as he wishes to add an obituary for Richard Hewes.
There being no further business the meeting closed at 8:55pm.