FRANT PARISH COUNCIL

THE MINUTES OF A MEETING OF FRANT PARISH COUNCIL HELD AT
FRANT VILLAGE HALL,
ON WEDNESDAY 15TH DECEMBER 2010 AT 8.00PM

Present: Councillors Crookshank (Chairman), Mrs Best, Burgess, Hall, Harris, Houlihan, Mrs Howell, Mrs Myers, Rowland and Wright

Also in attendance: Sarah Codling (Clerk), Sarah Bettany (East Sussex Hearing Resource Centre) and 4 members of the public.

1. To receive apologies and reason for absence.
Councillor Rowland sent apologies that he would arrive late. These were accepted.

2. To receive declarations of interests on items on the Agenda.
Cllr Mrs Myers declared a personal interest for any discussion relating to the school due to her position as a Governor.

3. To approve the Minutes of the meeting 17 November 2010 as a true record.
The minutes of the meeting 17 November 2010 were signed as a true and accurate record.

4. To determine matters arising from the previous Minutes for updating and noting.
All matters arising are covered in the Agenda.

5. Public Forum – time limit 10 minutes.
• A member of the public asked for an update regarding the Bells Yew Green parking issue. The Clerk informed those present that Mr Higgs from East Sussex Council, unfortunately, could not attend this meeting due to illness. The designers for the traffic calming plan have been changed as the original designer has left the Council. Plans are being finalised and should be presented to the Council in January. The timeframe should not be largely affected by the change.
• Concern was expressed that cars would just park further down the road and Councillors were asked to take this into consideration. However, the Chairman noted that constraints dictate what is allowed and only a certain level of restrictions can be used. It was also noted that cars park where they do for convenience implying commuters would not want to walk too far, especially in bad weather.
• The question of policing the restrictions was also raised. However, the public were informed that an offence has to occur before the police can take any action.
• Another member of the public mentioned that the new school had said that a traffic plan would be instigated before the opening. A letter had been received in the last few days showing signs of action which were encouraging.
• Following the recent snowfall the public are concerned about how much grit the Council has at it’s disposal. This discussion was deferred to later in the meeting.
Cllr Rowland arrived at 8.15pm
• Sarah Bettany from East Sussex Hearing Resource Centre gave a presentation about the charity. They provide advice, training and support to those with hearing difficulties to improve the quality of hearing and independence in the Community. The ESHRC operate a mobile bus service where they offer hearing tests, communication training, loop systems and have a variety of home aids. The service will be in Frant 10.30am-3.30pm 20 January 2011 in the Memorial Hall car park. The service is free and ESHRC would like to reach as many people as possible.

6. To receive Police Report.
None.

7. To receive reports of County and District Councillors.
No County report

District
The District Council has recently received it’s grant allocation. Whereas Wealden had been working to 12% reduction of funds the actual reduction will be 28% over 2 years.
The LDF came before Full Council and was accepted. It was asked that any new developments proposed were supported by having infrastructure built in. There is a requirement for 35% affordable housing.
The Council are encouraging residents to clear snow. The Council have ensured that there are no insurance implications should anyone slip on areas cleared by residents.
Grit bins are available to Parish Councils at a cost of £275 for the bin, installation and first fill and £70 for any subsequent fill.
Concern has arisen that people walking at night are not visible due to dark clothing. It has been requested that people are vigilant in making themselves seen to stop any accidents occurring.

8. Chairman’s Announcements & Correspondence for noting.
• Documents have been received regarding the elections next year. These were passed to the Clerk.
• A report was handed round to all Councillors showing their level of attendance over the past year. This was for information purposes. It was emphasised to Councillors the importance of maintaining a high level of attendance.

9. Highways, Transport & Lighting Matters.
A member of public has informed the Council that a light in Bayham Road needs repairing. East Sussex County Council have also contacted the Council with a quote for repairing another light on the Frant Road. This will be included in the Agenda for January.

9.1 To receive progress report on the traffic calming/management proposal for Bells Yew Green.
This item was covered during the public forum.

9.2 To review designs for gates for entrance to Bells Yew Green.
Carried forward to the next meeting.

9.2 To receive update regarding grit bins/hippo bags.
After submitting a request to East Sussex County Council for 4 hippo bags, Frant Parish Council were informed that this request could not be supported due to lack of resources. The Chairman had contacted Jewsons in order to source grit privately. However, there was no cost advantage.
The Council decided to pursue obtaining grit bins as they would be longstanding and would address the problem for future years as well as immediately. All costs were approved for the purchase of 4 grit bins.
The Clerk will contact County Council to ensure the grit bins can be purchased. Once that information has been received Councillors will speak to the proprietors of the suggested locations as to whether they will be happy for the bins to be placed on site.

10. Planning Matters
10.1 To make recommendations about Planning Applications received.
WD/2010/2652/F – 2 Green View, The Green, Frant, TN3 9ED
Front Porch
No objections, subject to comments from the Conservation Officer

WD/2010/2703/F – The Firs, Broadwater Forest Lane, Tunbridge Wells, TN3 9JP
Demolition of existing shed and replacement with garage/workshop
Councillors Mrs Best and Mrs Howell declared a personal interest as neighbours of the applicants
No objections

11. Play Equipment
11.1 To review progress with see-saw at Frant Recreation Ground.
The see-saw has been repaired. The Council are awaiting the invoice.

12. Finance
12.1 To approve accounts payable.
The accounts were approved.

12.2 To review budget for 2011/12.
It was noted that there was no increase to the precept last year. Parishes will be expected to take on more expenses and services, and Frant should plan for that.
The Green and school field will be in Council possession next year so funding must be allowed for maintenance. This is to be included in the Agenda for January.
Councillors are to review the proposed budget so that it can be adopted at the next meeting.

13. To receive update regarding Frant Development Boundary.
The Chairman spoke to David Phillips regarding the Frant Development Boundary and where Wealden are to put new houses in East Sussex. The development boundary will be decided according to where there is an infrastructure to support it. Bells Yew Green and Eridge will not be considered for development but Frant will be subject to more houses.
Councillors have been requested to look on the Wealden website at the SHLAA to research what decisions have been made.

14. To review action needed to progress Parish Plan.
To be included on a future agenda.

15. To agree celebration for Royal Wedding, costs and working party.
It was agreed that a celebration should take place as it is good for the Community. Both the Parents Association and Vicar are keen for an event. The Parents Association believe they could use it as their main fund raiser. It was considered that the Parish Council could create a workforce with external help from other organisations.
Cllrs Mrs Howell and Wright agreed to be in the sub committee.

16. To review progress for Henry Smith Charity 2011.
A list was distributed regarding the Henry Smith Charity for Councillors to review. Further action to be taken for next month.

17. Correspondence for noting.
None.

18. Urgent issues at the discretion of the Chairman for noting or inclusion on future agenda.
None.

There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.45pm